Monday, September 12, 2011

Just Some Background

I want to share a bit about my life thus far. Where I came from, where I am now. Not a commentary, just a chronicle of the events that led me to this place in my life.

1975 - the year I was born.

1980 - started kindergarten at a small private school. Was quickly moved into first grade, mostly because I was reading at such a high level (don't remember what grade equivalency but it was way beyond first).

1987 - switched to a small Christian school. So much better in so many ways!

Junior year (fall?) - was chosen to take PSAT with hopes of gaining a National Merit scholarship. I didn't qualify but scored really well and was recruited by 100+ colleges/universities nationwide.

Senior year - placed first in state in Literary Rally for sociology.

May 1992 - graduated high school with 3rd highest GPA out of approximately 70 classmates.

August 1992 - moved 6 1/2 hours away to attend college at a small Christian college on a partial scholarship. Double major - early childhood education, psychology. I was 17...

Summer 1993 - dropped psych major. I didn't get along with the head of the department and he taught almost all of the classes.

1993-1994 school year - learned of a combination psych/sociology degree at a nearby university. Contemplated changing my career path to become an elementary school counselor.

Fall 1994 - transferred schools to pursue a major in Social Psychology with the intention of being an elementary school counselor.

January 1995 - major family drama that made it impossible for me to continue going to school out of state. Yes, I'm drastically sugar-coating what happened but it wasn't at all pretty...

January 1995 - moved in with a couple friends, worked full-time.

August 1995 - moved to continue education at a state university. Worked part-time while attending school.

October 1995 - met my husband Jesse.

December 1995 - made the decision to take some time off school with the intention of returning at a later time. Started working full-time.

October 1996 - married Jesse.

January 1997 - quit job to concentrate on home study course for child care management.

The dates after this are sketchy. I worked in day care as an assistant and later a teacher.

Fall 1999? - returned to school full-time.

May 2002 - graduated with a bachelor's degree in Behavioral Sciences (included classes in psych, sociology, and political science).

September 2002 - started working for public school system in a Title I school full-time as a kindergarten tutor.

Fall 2004 - switched to part-time with the intention of resigning at the end of the school year.

Fall 2004 - started trying to get pregnant.

Spring 2005 - resigned from tutoring job.

November 2006 - finally pregnant...

July 2007 - Ethan born.

February 2009 - started trying for baby #2.

March 2009 - pregnant!

December 2009 - Gabriel born.

January 2010 - health issues. Started what is currently my main blog - http://cmlhealth.blogspot.com

Currently:
Christian family
Stay-at-home-wife/-mom
No plans to reenter the work force
Attachment parenting family
Future homeschooling family
Active in church
Trying to make healthy choices for myself and my family
Have a child with mental/emotional issues (Ethan) who is doing therapy at a local state-run mental health clinic

There's so much more I could include of my past but for some reason, this is what seemed relevant tonight. Perhaps I'll share more at
another time...

1 comment:

  1. I have been with you though most of that, and remember it well!!!

    ReplyDelete