Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My New Adventure

I started the Couch to 5k program yesterday! Details on how my first day went are here http://cmlhealth.blogspot.com/2011/01/c25k-day-1.html

I've been wanting to work out again for almost a year but circumstances were such that it could not happen. Last month Jesse and I made a commitment to both start working out and we're doing great so far - we completed Day 1 LOL It took us a little while to get started. The main thing holding me back was the quest for shoes (details on my Health blog - Jan 2 and Jan 3). But I found them Monday and we started on Tuesday :-) Jesse watches the boys while I work out and vice versa.

It's such a challenge as the mommy of a high needs toddler and more-needy-than-average baby who can't sleep on his own to find time to do things for me. But we agreed that our health is important enough to find the time for. We already eat healthy for the most part. And both of us feel better when we're working out regularly.

But this is about more than just us. It's about being healthy to be able to enjoy playing with the boys. It's about giving us the best opportunity to spend many years to come being parents to our little blessings. And it's about cultivating healthy habits in them. Being examples of what TO do re food and exercise, not what NOT to do. They're little enough that we have a lot of influence over these things right now. It's up to us to take advantage of that opportunity to steer them in a positive direction that will affect the course of their whole lives.

And let's not forget the spiritual aspects of being healthy!
1. Exercise is a natural antidepressant.
2. Being in shape physically enables us to carry out God's work, particularly serving others. I don't want to be too fat and unhealthy to carry out the things God has planned for me!
3. Making healthy choices forces me to rely on God, rather than the flesh - for strength to resist temptation; for strength to get out there and work out when I don't feel like it; for encouragement to make the right choices even when they're not the easy choices.
4. And let's not forget that our (Christian) bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit and all that that entails!

I plan on blogging my workouts on my Health blog, but I will occasionally post my overall progress here too.

No comments:

Post a Comment