Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Yet Another Reminder

Today was Gabriel's 1-yr check-up. I had 2 big reminders of the ways he's physically like me.

1. Narrow ear canals - At 13 mths old, they are still so tiny that his doctor got a partial glimpse of one today, and the other is still too narrow. He can manually open them but won't unless he suspects an ear infection. He said there's no reason to cause Gabriel unnecessary pain and aggravation. One of the reasons I like our pedi :-)

2. Susceptibility to yeast infections - My poor baby... He started with a diaper rash last week. It looked like it may be from yeast so I started some natural treatments. Over the weekend it got worse but not bad. Sunday night and Monday it got a lot worse. I knew his appointment was today so I figured I'd just let his pedi look at it and go from there. The pedi barely glanced down before confirming that it was definitely a yeast infection. Lotrimin AF twice a day for at least a week... He said we'd try OTC first and if it didn't respond well we'd look into other options. I know babies in diapers get fungal infections. But i really wonder if he's more susceptible to getting them. Like I am.

Some ways I've noticed he's like me - uses his left hand more (I'm left-handed); fairly easy-going; weaker immune system; shorter than average.

I hope he didn't get my horribly crooked teeth and doesn't fight depression and OCD like me!

No comments:

Post a Comment